We already know that kratom has amazing benefits when ingested, but did you know that it can be used externally as well? In fact, one of the more popular uses of kratom in Thai culture is as a kratom salve for some skin conditions including shingles*.
It doesn’t stop there, though. Kratom has been shown to be a potential antimicrobial agent, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and pain reliever, all of which make for an interesting case for kratom to be used topically.
Across the internet, you can read stories involving kratom soap, bath bombs, balms, and salves. We can’t go into user experiences as these could be interpreted as health claims, but a quick search on Reddit and similar sites reveals all kinds of positive user experiences.
The following is a guide on how to create your own kratom salve. You may have to pick some items up for this as some are not common household items, but according to those who’ve tried it, it’s worth it. Note that you may spend a bit extra if you prefer to keep everything totally organic.
Kratom Salve Ingredients
- Coconut or olive oil – 1 cup
- Beeswax – 1 oz.
- Mason jar(s)
- Kratom – 2.5 oz.
- Essential oils as desired for fragrance
The first step is to infuse your kratom into your oil base. We chose coconut oil as the base in the ingredients list, but there are other oils with various benefits. For instance, almond, argan, and wheat germ oils are high in vitamin E which moisturizes and serves as a powerful antioxidant.
If you can afford to spend a bit more on your kratom salve, St. John’s Wort-infused oil would be the best oil to use as it has notable pain relieving properties that could work well with your salve. You want to avoid mineral oil as it can create a barrier on the skin and prevent absorption of kratom’s compounds.
- Fill up a saucepan with about ¼ cup of water and put it on the stove
- Pour your oil and kratom into a smaller container that can take the heat of the stove – Pyrex makes very durable ones – and mix until entirely uniform
- Set this container inside the saucepan with water from step one
- Bring your water to a boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer and let everything infuse for an hour
As an alternative for those not in a rush, you can use the power of the sun for your infusion by simply mixing your oils and kratom in a mason jar and leaving it sitting out in the sun for 4-6 weeks. Once your infusion is ready, there are three quick steps to take before creating the salve.
- Cover a funnel or a bowl with cheesecloth. Three layers would be a good starting point for most mixtures. Firmly secure the cheesecloth before going onto the next step. Kratom is not fun to clean up.
- Strain your infused mixture by pouring it over the cheesecloth
- Once all has been poured, use your hands to squeeze out the last of the oil inside the cheesecloth
Creating A Kratom Salve
- Put your beeswax into a pan over low heat
- Pour over the beeswax your infused oil and let it melt the beeswax
- (Optional) Add in whatever essential oils you chose, if any
- Mix thoroughly to encourage your ingredients to disperse as much as possible – you want a consistent experience
- Pour your mixture into jars or other container(s) as needed for storage
You’re finished! Store your extra kratom salve in a cool place away from direct sunlight to prevent any oxidation that may otherwise occur.
- Don’t feel limited in your choice of oils
- It cannot be stressed enough how important it is to secure your cheesecloth during the above steps. Kratom can be tough to clean up.
- For a thicker salve, use more beeswax
- Regarding essential oils, here are some examples and what they are associated with*:
|Oregano||Antimicrobial and antiviral properties|
|Peppermint||May help with tension headaches|
|Tea tree||Antibacterial and antifungal properties|
|Lavender||Relaxation and improved sleep|
|Eucalyptus||Relief from coughs and nasal congestion|
Latest from our blog
The Future of Kratom Investment: Trends and Predictions
A Southeast Asian native tree called Kratom has grown in popularity recently as a natural [...]
The Science of Kratom Toxicity and Overdose: Kratom-Related Deaths
Kratom is a Southeast Asian plant that has grown in popularity in recent years as [...]
Understanding White Vein Kratom: A Comprehensive Guide
Kratom, a Southeast Asian tropical plant, has grown in popularity in recent years due to [...]
The Amazing Super Sunda Kratom: Is It The Most Potent Variant?
The Kratom business has expanded tenfold in the past few years, and tons of new [...]
The Future of Kratom and Cryptocurrency: Trends and Implications
Kratom and cryptocurrency are two new trends that have gained traction in recent years. Kratom [...]
Red Vein Kratom: A Comprehensive Guide
Welcome to our in-depth guide to Red Vein Kratom! If you’re looking for a natural [...]